Al-Wasi

Al-Wasi
"All Embracing"

Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day Poem



She asked to be my valentine
I told her I didn’t have time
To celebrate meaningless holidays
Used to stimulate economies
I’ve never been shot by Cupid’s arrow
And it can’t be found in the Bible
My little brother called it a pink Halloween
I translated it as we mask our feelings for 364 days
And then expect a teddy bear and flowers to say what should already be felt
I look better in black and orange than pink anyway
I’d ask for it to be completely wiped off the calendar if it wasn’t my mother’s birthday
I love her but that’s about as far as my feelings go for the day
Going to be a lot of broke dudes walking around next week
Just so their girls could grin from cheek to cheek for 24 hours
Then go back to fussing
I’m not oppose to love just lusting
I believe in faith but have none in trusting
The last time Valentine’s Day was cool was elementary school
You hand out suckers and give the special girl Aladdin and Princess Jasmine
Hoping that would one day be you and her
Then you grow up and learn fairy tales only happen in Disney movies
I’m not anti Valentine’s just think it’s overrated
But I’ll be respectful if you celebrate it
Happy Valentine’s Day to you and yours

No comments:

Post a Comment