Al-Wasi

Al-Wasi
"All Embracing"

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Artist of the Week: Megan Wolford



Name Megan Wolford
Hometown Winston Salem, NC
Current Town Greensboro. NC

How would you describe your art form??
I usually write pieces that reflect my life but I've been trying to put myself in other dimensions to write outside of my comfort zone. My pieces usually entail love and politics, you know the usual, but I think my uniqueness sets it apart from other artists. I believe I'm able to convey emotions differently then they are normally perceived. For example presenting a piece on unrequited love in a cheerful demeanor, or creating a serious piece, with a playful undertone. If I could throw some words out there to describe my art, I'd say raw and unafraid. My art is who I am, it is my lifeline. I am my own art form because I am reflected in all of my pieces. I may not have sailed the Nile but I have traveled distances to love, or I may have never gotten let my children see me get high, but I may have exposed myself unwillingly...shit like that.

How'd you get your name??
Well, right now, I kind of on a hiatus from actually having a "stage name." My most solid name has been "Evidence" but I no longer go by that name. I chose it because I said it was "proof that I had been there." After a while I realized I was writing about things I had never experienced therefore the name was not doing my art justice. Many people call me De La Meg because it's my name on Facebook. I was trying to figure out a new name for FB and I really love the group De La Soul, so somehow De La Meg popped in my head and it stuck. I don't think De La Meg is an alter ego, she runs adjacent to Megan. I think it's catch, and the phrase "de la" in Spanish means "of the" therefore you have "of the Meg" meaning that this is from me to you. I love it.

How did you start??
I have been writing since I could form letters. Just the other day I was telling someone that when I was way younger like 5 or six, I would write short stories and plays. I used to write poems, not that often though. I'd say late middle school and throughout high school is where it started to pick up. When I went to NC A&T SU for orientation, Couture Productions had a booth set up and I saw where they had a sector for lyricists. I kept my little paper in my night stand all Summer anticipating the Fall so I could audition. At this point I had never performed. I was so surprised when I made it because my poetry was so elementary at that point. Glad that stage is over with!

Favorite place you've performed??
I really have not had the opportunity to travel and perform as much as I would like to. My usual performance spots are around the Triad. I have performed at various schools and clubs around Greensboro and Winston. My favorite performance, however, has been my Emmit Till poem I performed in the Miss Black and Gold Pageant. I wrote a piece as if I was his mother traveling down to Mississippi to find him and the poem was her reaction to his death. It was beautiful, I heard I got a standing ovation but I was crying by the end that I rushed off stage after! People still talk about that piece, I love when my art touches the soul.

What is your inspiration??
Life is my inspiration. There is so much more to life than what the human heart, mind, and eye sees. I try to take in as much as I possibly can and interpret it through my poetry. People are my inspiration, I can look at someone and instantly have five stanzas dancing in my head. Everything inspires me, I try and turn everything into art, everything needs a chance to live right? I appreciate this world so much and the way I give back is communicating my thoughts with it whatever the emotion. We have conversations through my poetry. I interpret everything that happens in the world, whether its natural disasters, scandals, deaths, celebrations, as its way of speaking to me, my poetry is my response.

What are your goals or what do you hope to accomplish with your art??
Short term, I just need to write more often. I've started to create and construct the poems in my head without writing them down and I believe that's slowing me down from having more poems. I want to write a poem a day, and become more patient with my art. I want to accept that a great piece will not come overnight. It has to be nurtured just as a child, because they are that sensitive (poems). Long Term, I just want to expand in terms on the mental capacity needed to create my pieces. I want to help people feel emotions they never knew they had, I want to be known. I want to make an album. Stuff like that, the usual.

What is your favorite piece you've done??
I've written so many poems, some have never made it to the stage. All of them are my favorites! "Taboo," speaking on underage sex slaves gets me every time! "Its okay to fuck at nine years old..."


Who is your favorite artist?? Underground and Professional?
This is such a hard question, there are SO many artists that I adore professionally and underground. I recently met Tasha Jones, I suppose I would classify her as professional. Her poems are so powerful, I get a visual from everyone of her poems, they are indescribable. They put so much fire and inspiration under me, she's phenomenal. The first time I heard her I wanted to cry because is was so beautiful, that's what I want to do, reach my audience like that. Here's a Link to her: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgQgL6BYoRY . I am more familiar with underground artists from North Carolina and being that I was in an organization for poets I have too many to choose from. (LONG PAUSE) I'm really trying to choose a favorite, Bryan Fingers has an intelligence in his poems that I have yet to see in another individual, I can't even begin to describe that talent SBE has between them. There are just too many to name, I'm sorry.

Where can you be heard and/or seen??
I can be seen around Winston Salem and Greensboro. I try to attend as many open mics as possible and other programs where I can perform. Hopefully I can be seen at some upcoming festivals around the country!

What are your upcoming projects??
Hopefully this Summer I can travel to different poetry festivals, I recently moved into a new apartment, I felt like I was being suffocated and I needed somewhere that was my own little sanctuary. I live in a neighborhood I would describe as artsy so hopefully I can begin to draw inspiration from that as well, I just want to keep writing.

What is your favorite quote or quote you live by??
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." It can't be any simpler than that!!

Message to fans
Thank you for your support. My art is for you. Every word should conjure, so if you are feeling or thinking it, you should write it.


Do you have a twitter facebook or other way you can be contacted??

http://www.twitter.com/whoaDELAMEG and my name is De La Meg on Facebook.

FACT: It is okay to fuck at nine years old
Barely weened off her mothers tit
Has not learned the Cambodian alphabet
Her belly half empty with bread and silt infested water
Yet she is a champion
Still losing baby teeth
Callouses on her feet
Yet she is for sale
She nods her head
Implying head
This fills the emptiness its how she is fed
Her frail anatomy plucked away
He loves me
He loves me not
She nods her head until peaks are reached
Words are said
He grabs her head
As he pulsates faster
She hears laughter
Funny thing is its okay to fuck at nine years old
Mind you I said fuck
I mean she rides
Her undeveloped backside
Stuck in his hands
His beads sweat
Combined with the dirt thriving on her body
Cultivates explicit lyrics
Unhealed scratches
This shit is drastic
Her minimal breast
Swell from pressure
He test her
Sodomy
Her eyes can’t see
She’s nine years old
This ain’t how shit supposed be
Blow to her nose
Strike a pose for the dick
Blow to her face
He possess this bitch
Not enough hydration to produce tears
Instead she
Pushes faster
Bites harder
Grabs tighter
She’s a fighter
But her opponent is stronger
Once again her battle is lost
Five dollars is all it costs
Yes people it’s okay to fuck at nine years old

1 comment: